Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Daughter's Nightmare


Me and my dad on my wedding day- 04/23/11
On August 25 I received the worst phone call of my life. My 21 year old brother called me in a panic to tell me that he, along with my parents, were in a horrible car accident on their way home from a week long fishing trip. My brother and mother both sustained mild to moderate injuries. However, my father died on impact. It is strange to say this but knowing that makes me fell relieved. I know that he didn't feel any pain and woke up in heaven with the Lord.

Throughout everything at the accident, I stayed on the phone with my brother trying to be strong for him as the world fell apart around our family. My father was gone. Never in my life would I have ever thought this would be the end of his life. Just turning 60 a week before the accident (and the last time I had talked to him), he still had so much planned for his life. He had retired only months before and was just waiting for my mom to retire before they set out traveling around the country. With my husband and I trying to have a baby, he was so excited at the idea of being a grandpa. He would have made the best grandpa! I can’t help but cry thinking about how much my future children will miss out on without having him in their life.

It has been so difficult trying to resume a ‘normal’ life since the accident. My mom is still recovering from her injuries with the help of my sister. My husband and I live several states away but we are visiting as much as possible. We just came back from a visit and will be going again for Christmas. I haven’t spent a Christmas with my dad since December 2010. It is going to be so hard having the holidays without him there. I am learning to take each day by day to get through. Some days are good and some I can barely get through a single hour without breaking down into tears.

I know that my daddy is waiting to me in heaven. He is up there waiting for me and I know that he never wanted to cause our family so much pain. I just can’t help but wonder why did it have to be so soon? Why couldn’t I have more time with him? He was the best father any girl could ever ask for. I don’t think I will ever stop missing him but I do know that I will see him again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment