Monday, May 7, 2012

Strawberry Pie

I wanted to make a dessert this past weekend and I knew there was pie crust in the freezer that needed to be used soon. I haven't made a pie in quite awhile and I was pretty sure that rhubarb was now in season. Strawberry rhubarb pie is one of my favorites! When hubby and I went to the store to get some groceries for the upcoming week, I couldn't find rhubarb anywhere! We even stopped at another store on the way home but no one had it in stock.

I debated about waiting to make the pie until I could find some rhubarb. However, my husband looked pretty disappointed about no pie for dessert and I did have a large carton of fresh strawberries. I quickly found a recipe online for Old Fashioned Strawberry Pie. It turned out so good! I was pretty impressed with myself and my husband ate about half the pie himself last night! When he goes for additional helpings, I know he likes it!

Old Fashioned Strawberry Pie

Ingredients:
  • 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts (I used the unroll Pillsbury Pie Crusts)
  • 1 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons butter


  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place one crust in a nine inch pie pan.
  2. Mix together sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a medium sized bowl. Mix lightly through the berries but do not crush them. Pour filling into pastry lined pan, and dot fruit with butter or margarine. Cover with top crust, and cut slits in the top. Seal and flute the edges.
  3. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the crust is slightly browned.
I also covered the edges of the pie with foil about 20 minutes into baking. This way the edges didn't get too dark.

0 comments:

Post a Comment